Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

old, modern, post, etc. 5

Originally in green, a color of life:

rev gals old, modern, post-modern, whatever friday 5

according to singing owl...
Yesterday I had two separate conversations in which people were musing about how much change is occurring...The WW II generation [and] MY generation and how much change occurred in the last half of the 20th century...and on and on.
As for the questions!

1. I absolutely positively could not live without the ability to digitize my graphic design and of course that means electricity, computers, etc. I also appreciate indoor plumbing, but in this climate...

2. Right now I can't think of a modern convenience/invention that never should (I always say 'should' advisedly) have seen the light of day but probably will think of one as soon as I post this.

3. Older than a CD player? no, because I finally ditched all my cassette tapes after replacing those I couldn't live without, but between my iPod and YouTube, it looks as if most of the CDs are on their way out, too—a few months ago I freecycled about 50 of them! I've kept a couple dozen LP albums for their amazing cover art, and I have one vinyl 'record' that's not out in CD, but nothing to play it on: the Te Deum by Ernst Pepping; I need to get someone to transfer it to CD. (editing this several years later: an online friend burned CDs of both for me!)

4. I love the way the world is changing at close to the speed of light, but it's consternating to realize how many people never have lived without a computer, don't really know what an LP is or (gasp!) are clueless about 45's...that must sort of be related to how young today's university students look to be to me!

5. Thinking especially of my grandmother, regarding what our forebears had and we maybe haven't lost quite completely but need to work hard to acquire [regain] and retain, an acute awareness of seasonal, natural rhythms of all kinds, including responsiveness to our own moods and the needs of body, mind and spirit. I won't do the bonus about starting that process, but I ponder the question lots.

4 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Good play!
We have a place here that transfers vinyl to CD for $5. I just had one done, because it's not available on CD.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I blush to say that I was given an i pod for Christmas but have not yet taken time to figure it out. :-(

Unknown said...

Nifty.

Diane M. Roth said...

again, I like your number 5, regarding an awareness of the natural seasons and rhythms of life.