Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

time & transitions 5

This morning I decided to Friday 5, after all, and from Mother Laura, this week's Palms Friday 5 considers Friday Five time and transitions.

For my own intro to this 5 I need to remind myself just as salvation history journeys from the triumph and excitement of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem to the devastation of Calvary Hill and then to the Resurrection Dawn that still astonishes us, every one of experiences twists, turns, backtracks and unexpected non-transitions that only the Spirit of Life that raised Jesus from the grave is able to redeem and transform.

1. For my choice of historical time period I'll return to Florence as the Renaissance trickles down from the surrounding hills—at least I love to think of it that way!

2. For my most desired futuristic/science fiction development I'll take vibrant, healthy, productive cities, particularly neighborhoods that help grow kids and youth into trusting, giving, productive adults. That's a topic for more than a book, so I'll leave this by saying how sad that I'm playing this dream within the category of futuristic/science fiction—but in the HS's power it need not be so.

3. I have a not uncommon propensity to stay almost suspended and stuck in a nowhere inbetween remembering the past and imaging a future for myself and the world; how some ever, in a very real sense we live most of our lives embedded or at least floating in a here and now made possible because of past endeavors and experiences and that also partakes of an almost but not-quite yet reign of heaven we've heard about, read about, seen glimpses of and even proclaimed within the gathered assembly of the Church; outrageously I'll risk describing it as the proleptic realization of the eschaton...

4. Again I spent this year's Lent still almost paralyzed with a sense of loss of self, loss of purpose and wondering again about a future. But at least it was a little productive, since on the 5 Wednesday evenings I was pianist and facilitated discussion of a DVD series, Good God Questions from Luther Seminary.

5. As I anticipate this upcoming Holy Week I am very sad I won't be musician for the daily eucharist we celebrated during HW 2005, 2006 and 2007, since the pastor I collaborated with is in a different situation now and clearly, so am I. But I do plan to check out the various offerings around town and aside from Maundy Thursday, which I will celebrate with my "home" parish, I expect to be able to participate in some meaningful (cliché 1) reflections (cliché 2).

4 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

(((((((((L.S.))))))))

Praying for you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

leah sophia cliches are not the first word i associate with your posts... like ever. so there. hrmmph.

now... yes uhm-hmmm the HS can indeed make happen that which seems so far away... transformation personally, corporately, globally. whew... i can feel a slight breeze stirring.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I really like your image ind #2 and it is so needed. That feeling of limbo must be so very hard. I do hope you find a God-space during the coming week and weeks.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

"...just as salvation history journeys from the triumph and excitement of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem to the devastation of Calvary Hill and then to the Resurrection Dawn that still astonishes us, every one of experiences twists, turns, backtracks and unexpected non-transitions that only the Spirit of Life that raised Jesus from the grave is able to redeem and transform."

So powerful, Leah.

I'm sorry that your Lent was hard again, and pray that Easter will give you true resurrection.