Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Alphabetical Catholic Meme

I found this over at Junia's Daughter and told Mother Laura I thought I could do it since I'm such a liturgical and theological type, but I needed to modify a few of the questions. However, I'm agreeing with Laura on some of them, yay!
[A is for apparitions - your favorite]:
Guadalupe - we agree on letter "A"

[B is for Bible - the one you read most often]:
Everett Fox's translation in the Schocken Pentateuch; Jerusalem Bible for the rest of the Hebrew Bible; NRSV and The Message for New Covenant Scriptures. I still frequently consult my well-marked RSV, the first Bible I ever owned

[C is for Charism - the one you would most like to have]:
bilocation.

[D is for Doctor of the Church - your favorite]:
Teresa of Avila

[E is for Essential Prayer - What’s yours?]:
Help!

[F is for Favorite Hymn]:
This is an unreal request! But I'll list a handful: Gather Us In; Rise, Shine You People; This Joyful Eastertide; Now the Silence; We Gather Together

[G is for Gospel - your favorite author?]:
Luke! Women, the Marginalized, the Spirit

[H is for Holy Communion - How would you describe it, using one word?]:
Belonging.

[I is for Inspiration - When do you feel most inspired by God?]:
In the desert

[J is for Jesus - When did you first meet Him?]:
in the activist American Baptist Church that was my first church home and probably my first real home, too

[K is for Kindness - Which saint or person has most inspired you by their kindness?]:
I'll default into Mother Teresa, though long ago I decided never to mention her in a sermon since everyone else does. Is that weird or not?

[L is for liturgical year - your favorite time in the liturgical cycle?]:
Laura answered Triduum--we're close on this one, but I'll extract Easter Vigil from the Triduum. Hmmm, Maundy Thursday used to be my favorite liturgy of the entire year, so why has that changed?

[M is for Mary, the Mother of God ("Theotokos" from my perspective) - Your favorite term of endearment for her]:
Rose of Sharon - close to Laura's

[N is for New Testament - Your favorite passage]:
Too hard! Maybe Galatians 3:28?! No, maybe John 20:1. Oh, never mind! I can't do this!

[O is for Old Testament - Your favorite Book here]:
2nd Isaiah--maybe, since this one also is too hard

[P is for Psalms - your favorite]:
this is an unfair question, too, but for now I'll pick Psalm 100, sung with organ and brass

[Q is for quote - saint quote]:
I couldn't think of my own, so I'll go with Laura's: St. Teresa of Avila: "If this is how you treat your friends, Lord, you shouldn't be surprised you have so few of them!"

[R is for rosary - your favorite mysteries]:
You've lost Protestant "moi" on this one, but I'll name one of the most amazing mysteries of faith: God's condescension

[S is for Saint - the one you turn to in time of need - not including the Blessed Virgin Mary]:
Actually, I don't pray to saints but am devoted to Francis of Assisi

[T is for Tradition - your favorite Catholic tradition]:
Centering Prayer

[U is for university - Which Catholic University have you attended or are currently attending?]:
None, but our Ecumenical Council's Faith, Order & Witness committee frequently meets at University of San Diego. Does that count?

[V is for Virtue - the one you wish you had]:
Patience with myself

[W is for Way of the Cross - Which station can you most relate to?]:
Simon helps carry Jesus' Cross

[X is for Xaverian Brothers - Do you know who they are?]:
Nope, but I've heard of them a lot

[Y is for Your favorite Catholic musician]:
Rich Mullins--can't think of any who still are in The Body

[Z is for Zeal for the faith]:
two for now: justice; recognizing the Divine in all creation

1 comment:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Too cool, Leah! Thanks for posting these; it's a really great window into your spirituality. I'm gonna mention this again and link to both our posts in the hopes that a couple more people will pick up on it. :-)