Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Attachment and Loss

Got a blog, gotta blog, finally, but first, let's see how this semi-ASCII horse looks here:

<\___~
//    \
This blog-title reminds me of our discussion of Water Buffalo Theology a couple years back on the old UCC online forums. Kosuke Koyama wrote WBT as a threefold offering: Christian-Buddhist dialogue, ecological theology and liberation theology. Even before I finally made the connection, such passionate attachments and devastating losses so have been informing the thinking, feeling, journaling and more formal writing I've lately been doing.

Blog

The early church always...always baptized
The 21st century church always baptizes
The early church baptized in the river’s flowing waters
River runs high and river runs low river runs through the land from source to destination
Rivers of baptism's bountiful streams ripple through our lives from source in Christ to destination in Christ
You know how I love paradox, and I love polyvalent images (and symbols) almost as much!

Like high summer's blush of fresh new love's blazing intensities and obsessive near-trances I was passionately in love with The Church; I still love the Church passionately--despite these past more than a dozen years.

The church had given me life! Oh yes, of course the sacraments, but when I say life I don't mean baptism and I'm not referring to the Bread of Life and Cup of Salvation.

Hospitality, hospital – hospitality industry! God's industrious hospitality in cross and sacrament. Sacraments, cross? But how about community--the church as the exhibition of the Reign of Heaven? The sacraments depend on the church for their existence.

Hospital=healing place

Cross=healing place, healing grace, healing embrace, hospitality place

The Cross is God's "been there, done that, have (bought) the scars as proof." But is not the church, born at the cross and energized at Pentecost--the community bought, purchased at the cross proof of God's being and doing, as well?

Here's some of Fred Pratt Green's song we sang last Sunday to Cyril Taylor's tune, Abbot's Leigh, which always sounds so Anglican to me:
God is here! As we your people meet to offer praise and prayer...
Here are table, font and pulpit; here the cross has central place.
Those words remind me of Marty Haugen, "Gather us in":
Here we will take the wine and the water;
here we will take the bread of new birth;
here you shall call your sons and your daughters,
call us anew to be salt for the earth.
From a newer favorite I've posted at least a couple of places:
I, the Lord of font and cup, covenant to lift you up; splash the water, break the bread; pour out your lives!
Time to prepare for tomorrow...

No comments: